Monday, February 17, 2014

Climb Every Mountain



This morning, the rays coming through the window as I write this post, along with the sound of the rushing river below, puts me in a state of sheer bliss. This Monday morning sans teaching was just what I needed to reflect on what a great weekend I had.

A very Valentine's sunset Friday night
Saturday morning, Amy, Alison and I awoke early and took the windy two hour bus to Aix-en-Provence. Although we have taken this bus before, so we were warned about how queasy our stomachs can get, I thought it wouldn’t be a problem this time. I was wrong – the whole morning ride there I was clenching my stomach, hoping I would not get sick. But because I was awake the entire time, I did get to see the breathtaking sunrise over the Provencal countryside.

Sunrise
Once back on our feet, we walked through town to have a nice sit down breakfast at le pain quotidien. It was such a wonderful morning, and very different from the last time we visited – sunny blue skies with warm temperatures and a nice dose of wind. I enjoyed a croissant and chocolat chaud, which sounds like a simple meal but of all of the hot chocolates I have tried here in France, this one was by far the best.*


After checking in at the tourist office for bus schedules and information, we were off to la Montagne Sainte-Victoire, the inspiration for many of Paul Cezanne’s masterpieces. We thought we had come prepared, armed with sneakers and good walking clothes. However, at the tourist office when I was asking for information, the woman looked me up and down and asked “Et tu es bien equipé?”** As we began our hike to one of the highest points of the mountain, it became increasingly clear that we were not really as equipé as we thought. The rocks were quite slippery to the step, promising that one wrong move or slip could send you rolling down the mountain. The journey might have been better with hiking boots and walking sticks, as the many men that passed us came prepared with. The hike was supposed to take 2.5 hours to the Croix de Provence but after an hour of hiking, we decided to stop on the side of the mountain.




View from where we ate lunch

Once we had taken in this view, we noticed that the wind appeared to be getting stronger but still wanted to make it to our end destination. So we set off prepared to get to the top. We must have gotten only 5 steps up and the wind instantly overtook me and hurled me to the ground. I called to the other girls, saying that although I wanted to get to the top, as it has been something I wanted to do for a long time, it might not be worth it if I just got blown over. They agreed and we decided to stop and take some obligatory shots with the mountain and then headed back down.


The mount on the left is where we ate lunch and the summit on the right is one of the high points of the mountain, where you can find the Cross of Provence

At the bottom of the hike, there was a lovely lake called Lac de Bimont where we enjoyed just relaxing and looking out over its beautiful blue water. After a hike, it was a lovely spot to just rest and enjoy the beautiful scenery.


Then we headed back into town, enjoyed a nice drink at a café, walked through some shops (where I might have bought myself a new Longchamp bag as a belated birthday gift…) and munched on a nutella and banana crêpe. As the sun was going down, we boarded the bus back to Apt, which was actually much appreciated to sit after a long day of hiking and exploring. Feeling ultimate laziness, I grabbed a pizza from my favorite place here in town, as I didn’t feel like making anything. I chatted with the pizza maker Xavier about my day, how I like Apt and differences between here and America. It is nice that I can have a casual conversation like this with a total stranger and we can understand each other, plus I am continually surprised and delighted with how friendly people are here in Apt. After eating, I tucked in early for the night, my muscles tired and my heart full of happiness.

I took it easy Sunday and did some cleaning and planning, still thinking about the amazing day I had the day before. I cannot describe the amazing view from the hike and I am so happy I pushed myself to do something that I have wanted to do for so long. Although we didn’t get to the top, I always know that it is about the journey and not the destination. And let me tell you, that journey was incredible - it is a trip I will always remember.

*And since I don’t drink coffee, I have tried a LOT of hot chocolate here. I am basically an expert.
**Translation: And you are equipped? In other words, she was asking if I was ready for how difficult the hike would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment