Monday, May 12, 2014

France, you really suck sometimes



As tonight is my last night in France, I am really starting to reflect on my time here. Many of my friends/family know that my eight months here was no walk in the park - there were several times where I was so frustrated about living here that all I wanted to do was leave. I have kept a running list of these frustrating items of culture and am posting it below. **Please note: this is a list derived from my personal experiences living in France. I understand these items might have been due to my location in a rural town in Provence and that other people living in other regions may not have had these annoyances.**

Things I will not miss about France

PAPERWORK. Everything here requires a form, and I mean everything. Not only that, but specified documentation for each form as well. Just to open an internet contract, you need a copy of proof of identity, a RIB from your bank proving you have a bank account and a copy of your proof of housing. And then to shut down accounts, you must send a recommended letter to the company - you can't just go into a branch office and say you want to terminate your account. Lots of useless papers, all the time.
 
DISORGANIZATION. I find this to be directly connected with the laid-back attitude that the French have about life. I find it funny that so much paperwork and forms are demanded, because once your give all these items, don't be surprised when it takes two months to process them.

Strikes. Whenever they feel like it. Teachers, transportation, etc. I will be happy to get back to a place where strikes are not so commonplace.



Lack of communication. Specifically in my case, classes being cancelled without one word to me about it. I would show up and wait outside the classroom to see no students and no teacher. 

Nothing being open. Ever. It is a general European standard that everything is closed on Sunday. I can deal with that. But after much research, I have noticed many things closed Monday and Wednesday as well. And most times you can't even trust the hours they have posted on the shops. For example, today, my last day in town, I went to a resale shop to sell some DVDs. The sign said that it should have been open, but it wasn't. I guess I never figured out the schedule of all the shops here. 

NO WIFI. Ok that is an exaggeration - there are now three establishments in Apt that offer free Wifi. If it works. Again, just today I went to my favorite Wifi hole, and it didn't work. Beyond that, internet here costs a ton, and you pay by the usage!

Having to take public transportation to get anywhere/not having a car. This was just my personal experience living in small town France but relying on eight buses a day to get anywhere kind of gets old.
 
Not being to find my shoe size ANYWHERE. Any 42s up  in here? I have been told here that my shoe size is for men.

Taking 2 weeks to get something done that could have gotten done in one day. It’s France’s law.

Poop on the sidewalks. Everywhere. Is it so hard to clean up after your animal?!

The weird hairstyles of French men. Especially the weird version of the undercut hairstyle - only works for Macklemore, dudes. 

Needless to say, I won't be missing these things when I return to the U.S. Happy to say au revoir to these petites choses!

No comments:

Post a Comment