Sunday, March 16, 2014

Ouuuiii Pariiiis

Our trip to Paris began VERY early on a Sunday morning. And when I say early, I mean 4:30am early. We dragged ourselves out of bed, into the tight rental car one last time and drove to the Avignon TGV station. Though the mistral tried to knock us and our bags down as we walked into the station, we sat down and waited for the train to arrive. Once we boarded the TGV, we all went out like a light and three hours later we awoke to a beautiful, sunny Parisian day.

We decided to take the metro to the apartments we rented in the 3ème arrondisement, the neighborhood of le Marais, as it was only two stops on one metro. However, we didn’t think about early Sunday morning metro traffic and found the 5 of us trying to push into an already filled metro with all of our bags. Needless to say, not a good beginning to the day. After a little bit of walking and orientation, we found Dan and Brenna’s apartment. They were staying in a private room with a lovely French woman who lived right next to the metro stop. She was more than accommodating, spoke wonderful English and even proceeded to have a nice French conversation with me about my business living in France as I left the apartment. Finding my parents and I’s apartment was a completely different story. Though the host said it was “a 7 minute walk”, a half an hour later, drenched in sweat from carrying our bags, we arrived at the gate of the complex. After buzzing at our hosts apartment twice and receiving no response, I panicked and quickly found the number to call him. Just as I pressed dial, the door opened and a man said “I am Kevin” with a smile. He was clearly expecting a reaction, but as I was expecting a man named Alexandre, you can sense why I hesitated. We soon learned that Kevin was Alexandre’s housekeeper and he helped us with our bags and showed us the apartment. Once we got cleaned up, we walked back to Rue de Rivoli to pick up Dan and Brenna from their apartment but were greeted instead by 40,000 people running past us, complete with people cheering and bands playing for encouragement on the sidewalks. We had just ran into the Paris Semi-Marathon. 

Some where more prepared than others. Spotted: someone wearing a polo shirt and khakis STRUGGLIN'
After letting the runners subside, we went for a quick lunch at a hole-in-the-wall Jewish restaurant nearby. Having falafel was only fitting, as I had tried it for the first time in Paris on my last visit. After a nice lunch, we headed by metro to the Opèra Garnier where, after a little bit of time getting oriented, we got on a bus tour to explore the sights of Paris. As Dan and Brenna had only one day in Paris, we decided that this was the best option so Dan (who had never been to Paris before) could see as much as possible in one day. The tour began under sunny, blue skies and sitting on the top of the double decker bus seemed like a perfect way to be spending the day in Paris. Although near the end of the tour, the clouds came out and it got a bit breezy, I saw many things that I had seen before but with a new perspective from the audioguide of information.

Cheesin' in front of the Opera Garnier

Lovers in front of the Eiffel Tower
For our last dinner together, we stopped by a little restaurant on the walk back to my parent’s and my apartment called le Sévigné. I was not sure about this place at first, as it looked quite chic and as most places in Paris are overpriced for cold, unpersonable service, I am always hesitant to go to sit down places. This place totally changed my opinion, the owner being instantaneously personable the second we came in. Even though we were dinner quite early for a French standard*, he made a table up for us amongst the many people in the restaurant who there pour prendre une verre**. Though he greeted us in English, when he noticed I was speaking in French, he asked how I knew to speak, which led to the discussion of my living here, Provence and aioli, amongst other things. My family and I enjoyed one last wonderful meal together at this restaurant, filled with wine, duck, steak, baguette and dessert. As it was Brenna’s birthday that day and Dan’s birthday the very next day, we went back to our apartment and toasted in celebration with a white wine I had sneakily bought from Chez Sylla the day before. Soon after, we had to say goodbye to Dan and Brenna, as they were leaving early in the morning for their flight. It is always difficult to say goodbye to loved ones, especially when you don’t know when you will see them again, but it was so great to have them here that I will take the tear-filled adieu anyday.

Monday, my parents and I took an excursion outside Paris, to the region of Normandy on the northwest coast of France to visit the D-Day beaches. We had to catch a 2 hour train in the morning, getting us into Bayeux around noon with our half day tour of the beaches starting at 1. We thankfully had some time in there to grab lunch before the tour started, which I was not worried about as there is always some type of food at the train stations. However, our train had a half hour delay, getting us into Bayeux with only 15 minutes before the tour started. When we hurried into the train station to get some food, we were only greeted with vending machines filled with pop, chips and candy bars. As there were no restaurants in quick walking distance, we downed two twix bars each and set off to explore what Normandy had to offer.

The tour first started at the Pointe du Hoc, the highest point between Utah beach and Omaha beach where it was explained how the United States Rangers scaled the cliffs to assault the German forces embedded there on D-Day. It was amazing to imagine the courage of the men, seeing how far up that cliff was.




Next, we headed onto Omaha Beach, where our tour guide Elisa explained the strategy of the US Armed forces during D-Day and what problems occurred with this strategy, leading to unbelievable amount of casualties. It was such a calm stretch of land when we visited, making it even more difficult to believe the events that unfolded there on June 6, 1944. While we were taking in the scene, it began to rain a bit but we decided to tough it out. Only when it began to pour someone in our tour group suggested to go back to the van. As we hurried back, it began to hail little pellets on us…guess that was a good call!

The calm before the (hail) storm
The tour took us next to American soil in France: the Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial. The sun began to come out again as we heard about the making of this sobering place. From the garden of the missing (where the names of 1500 fallen soldiers whose bodies have not been found are listed), to the bronze statue “The Spirit of the American Youth Rising from the Waves”, to the over 9,000 marble crosses lined in perfect symmetry, this monument’s beauty is harrowing and really makes you step back and realize what people have done to protect our country. They also added a new visitor’s center which acts as a free museum about the soldiers and D-Day in general. Unfortunately, we just barely saw the center and had to leave – we could have spent a lot more time there. We got back outside to watch them take the American flag down and play taps, as they do every day at 4:30pm to honor the fallen. It was a moment that I won’t forget anytime soon.


The stones in the ground at the memorial were taken directly from Omaha Beach.

Harrowing and sobering.


To finish the tour, we headed to another area where German bunkers still exist, but these where different as they still had the canons in them. You could see how they canons had been hit from the attacks and it made the stories that much more real. Also, our tour guide Elisa is from the Bayeux area, living in Colleville sur Mer. When we asked if she knew anyone involved in D-Day, she said her Grandmother had been living near Omaha beach! She recounted us the stories about her grandmother living at that time. One that stood out to me was how she got married the year after D-Day and her dress was made of old parachutes, as that was the only white fabric they had readily available to make dresses in the area. Little details like that is what taking tours like this is all about – we were all very grateful for her insight and personal experience.

Once we were back to the train station, we decided to exchange our tickets back to Paris for ones that were two hours earlier, being too exhausted to stay any longer. So once again, we were left to have a vending machine dinner which consisted of chips and coke. But after hearing the stories of what the American soldiers sacrificed for us, this didn’t seem like a big deal. Once back in Paris, we grabbed some sandwiches quick and crashed the second we got back to the apartment.

Tuesday morning began early once again with a train ride out to Versailles. Although I have visited Louis XIV’s humble abode a few times, my mom wanted to go with a tour guide so we were off to meet this guide for a half day tour. After a quick stop to grab breakfast and lunch from Starbucks***, we met the guide, Sophie, and the other members of our tour group. While getting to know each other, the tour guide found out about my job here in France and that I had visited Versailles before and know a bit about French history. Although it was nice to have her information throughout the visit to point things out, I was surprised to find out that much of what she said was things that I already knew! Maybe studying so hard in FREN 3000 in college did get me somewhere! Anyway, it was a lovely tour for people that don’t know much about French history and the making of Versailles, I would recommend it!


The Little Chapel

The Hall of Mirrors

After we were done wandering around the inside of the palace, we took our sack lunch out to the gardens and soaked up the sun on a park bench. Although the gardens during the winter are nothing to behold when you compare to their beauty during the summer, it was wonderful relaxing outside by the beautiful pruned shrubbery.



Since we were so tired from waking early two days in a row, especially those days filled with tours, we headed back to the apartment early to make dinner ourselves and have a relaxed night. I relish in these times on vacation, spending time with loved ones in a place that feels like home.

Bon Appetit!


Wednesday, I tried to jam-pack as much Paris as I could in one day. First, we started at the Louvre. We went in with a list of things that Mom wanted to see, including the Mona Lisa, the Venus de Milo, Winged Victory, Rebellious Slave, etc. We saw nearly everything on that list, except Winged Victory which sadly was being renovated while we were there. As I have visited the Louvre many times, I am always not only floored by the amount of art it holds in its walls, but by how the architecture of the buildings is an art in itself. Room after room, particularly concerning the ceilings, I find myself floored by the beauty. After seeing the necessary works, we stepped outside to enjoy some sun in the courtyard and take some pictures with the glass pyramid.

"Don't that ceiling ever want to make you cry?" (ten points to whoever can name that movie)

After a long search, we found Madonna on the Rocks. She was pretty excited.





Next, as Dad is a Hard Rock Café lover, we made our way over to the Paris restaurant and enjoyed us some great burgers for lunch. There is nothing like a big burger from the Hard Rock! After, we headed to the Notre Dame cathedral. Each time I visit this place, I am overwhelmed with a feeling of calm. Sitting in the pews and reflecting on things with the immense beauty of the cathedral surrounding me, I was surely feeling (and continue to feel) blessed. Plus, that rose window though. It gets me every time.


Crying. So beautiful!
To end the day, it was only necessary to take my parents up the Eiffel Tower. Knowing that we would have to stand in line for an hour, I got us there so I thought we would have enough time to go up, see the sunset at the top, come down, and see the first time the lights turn on. As we waited though, I began to doubt myself, as the sun was setting faster and faster. In the end, it was absolutely perfect. The sun setting on the city, casting yellow light on the white washed buildings, with a periwinkle, lilac and pink sky in the background, I cannot put into words what it meant to share that sunset with my parents.  I don’t think I have ever seen Paris so beautiful, especially from the top of the Eiffel Tower, and it is only fitting that I got to share that with the people I love most.


I could have posted 100 more photos that I took of the sunset and the amazing view of the city that night. But this one is my favorite, so beautiful!

HAPPY!
 
We got back down from the tower just in time to see my favorite thing in Paris: the twinkling lights that happen every hour after dark. I always get a little melancholic when I see it and this was no exception. After the lights ceased their twinkling, we headed back to the Marais, but not after first grabbing some take-away Chinese food. At first, I was a little hesitant. But let me tell you, that was some GREAT Chinese food. I would definitely go back! We settled into sleep before our last day in Paris. Well sort of. At 3am we were awoken by a young French woman who was screaming in the hallway and sounded to be knocking on our door. After listening closer, I figured out she was knocking on our neighbors door, yelling to let her in. Obviously intoxicated, obviously upset from being left on the side of the road, she had found her way into the building, where her manfriend obviously didn’t want her. The yelling and fighting continued for about an hour, and though it was scary at times, it mostly just struck me that I didn’t know what to do (call the police, security, etc). In the end the screaming stopped and we got back to sleep.

With that commotion, morning came early, even though we did allow ourselves to sleep in a bit. We spent our late morning touring through the impressionist art at the Musée d’Orsay. Always my favorite museum in France, I loved seeing these works of art again. What made it more enjoyable was showing my mother one of my favorite paintings, one of the Houses of Parliament paintings by Claude Monet, and having her give me a wide eyed look and say “That is so funny… when you were a little girl you used to LOVE this stuff at museums… that is so weird!” I guess my 4 year old self knew that I was a fan of impressionism!

After some lunch and some souvie shopping, we headed to the Champs Elysées to see the Arc de Triomphe up close and personal. Unfortunately, it is under renovation right now, so part of its façade is covered, but we still had to get the obligatory photo.


Then I took my parents on a small walk down the Champs Elysées, a necessary thing to do on any trip to Paris. Plus, I had something to check off my Bucket List at the end of the road – eat macaroons from  LADURÉE! After many trips to Paris, I finally made it to the Marie Antoinette inspired tea salon and boutique. Although crowded with tourists inside, we waited in line and took in the decadently decorated queue line. Once it was our turn, I picked out 8 different flavored macaroons for me and my parents to sample and, with a little mix-up of macaroons on the side, I left the boutique clutching one of those mint green bags in my hand, excited for the sugar overload that was going to occur later.

So much sweety goodness!

Obligatory.
Even earlier than the last time we got dinner at this restaurant, our last meal in Paris at le Sévigné started at 4:30pm. We had to return as we had gotten such great service the last time, and such great food! I took advantage of such a great place to face my fears and try what I have wanted to try for years: escargots! I got it with a side of fries, just in case I didn’t like them and needed something to eat. I needn’t have gotten the fries, the escargots were absolutely DELICIOUS! The chef had prepared them stuffed with pesto (a nod from the owner who knows I live in Provence and love pesto, I am sure…) and they tasted just like any other seafood, like a brother of mussels. I thoroughly enjoyed this last meal with my parents, toasting the end of a wonderful two week vacation. After the meal, we headed back to the apartment and had dessert, the LADURÉE macaroons of course!

one word: YUM

From left to right: Chocolate with coconut, praline, salted caramel, raspberry, marie antoinette (which we found out was mint), chocolate, vanilla, and lemon. SO SWEET AND SO GOOD!
The rest of the night ensued in packing and packing and weighing luggage. As our taxi for the airport arrived at 6am the next morning, we made sure all our bags were ready. After a short ride to the airport, my parents checked into their flight, we enjoyed one last breakfast at Paul, waited with me at the train station, hugged and waved me goodbye as I left for my train back to Provence. Because it was so nice being with them for such a long period of time, I forgot how hard it was going to be to say goodbye. With tears flowing at the station and my eyes red and puffy as I boarded the train, I couldn’t help but be reminded of the first time I took a train from that station to Avignon. So afraid of the unknown, nearly in tears out of sheer stress and jetlag. Now, there is no fear – instead, I am nearly in tears out of my heart being in two places at once: Michigan and France. I feel like all this year that is all I have been doing – constantly saying goodbye. I relish in the day that I will be able to constantly say hello, only ending with a small see you later. Until then, I have a 6 week teaching term, followed by 4 weeks of whirlwind European travel. I know it will fly by in the flash of an eye, but I must say that the prize at the end will make it all worth it: being reunited with my family and friends.

*It was 6pm, mind you. The normal eating time is around 9pm.
**Translation: To have a drink. This is quintessential in French culture, from about 4-7 is the time where people get together at a café to have a drink: coffee, beer, wine, etc.
***This is important to note: I had a blueberry muffin, which I have been craving for MONTHS. It’s the simple American pleasures in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment