Thursday, January 9, 2014

A Week Fit for Kings

Happy Thursday night from Provence! I love Thursday nights here, because it is officially the beginning of the weekend for me! Lounging in my room with a glass of wine, a plate of pasta and some baguette and tapenade all the while reflecting on a great first week back in France makes this evening even better.

Monday was a tiring day. Not because of teaching, I didn't even teach at the lycée on Monday, just my private lessons. No, I was tired because of this lovely thing called le décollage. Translation: JETLAG. Sunday night, I tried to be responsible and go to bed at 11pm, setting an alarm to wake up at 10 am at latest. I proceeded to toss and turn until 7 AM, garnering a good 3 hours of sleep before I awoke and started my day. Ever since then, I honestly have still been rediculously tired, though it is still difficult to sleep at night. I am so glad I went home for the holidays, but this whole readjusting to the time thing kinda sucks!

It is not just that aspect that is taking time to get readjusted. Though my first day out of the apartment I surprised myself with how seamlessly I re-entered into speaking and understanding French seamlessly, since then I have had many a blunder and confusion. I am chalking this up to being away for a bit. However, I have known for a while now that I need to be more active in improving my capabilities and finding every opportunity to do so. Plus, it didn't help that I had the most communication over the phone in French that I have ever had in my life during these past two days*. I know that I truly am improving here (whether my extremely self-critical mind realizes it or not) but sometimes it is hard to not get down on yourself.

Monday during my private lessons, the boss's wife handed me a little green box with a short "bonne année" as she sat down for her lesson. They had gotten me a little box of nice chocolates from town! I was so touched by the gesture, but also confused that they had given me a gift in honor of the New Year but not for Christmas. From what I have observed here, the New Year almost has a greater significance to the French, with every single one of my teachers and students throughout the week shouting at me "Happy New Year!"

Mon cadeau!

Tuesday was my first day back teaching. As I walked to my first class of the day I noticed all the students piled in the classroom with one of the Italian teachers. When I came in and looked bewildered, the teacher explained to me that the teacher I worked with was on maternity leave now and they were not sure if there was a replacement teacher yet. Excuse me?! All my American readers would be shocked by this, and even though I know that substitutes are generally not done in France, I was surprised to know that they didn't have a replacement for someone on a medical leave. After telling the students to go home, we went to the vie scolaire to confirm what we already knew: there is no replacement for that teacher and they don't know when there will be one. Awesome. C'est la France!

After classes on Wednesday, I went to Avignon to experience the day I have been anticipating for a while: the start of les soldes d'hiver!** The streets were packed with eager shoppers (though not as many as the beginning of the summer sales in Aix two years ago), the stores were filled shoulder to shoulder with people and the signs in every store window emblazoned the capitol letters of SOLDES alongside 40, 50, 60% marks. I did get quite a few things, but I however did not break the bank because everything was so marked down! I enjoyed getting out of Apt in the middle of the week, and Amy and I are going to take a trip there tomorrow as well, as she was not able to see the deals on Wednesday.

Translation of sign: Shopping should be reimbursed by social security..

Thursday, my busiest day of teaching, is normally the day in the week where I break down a bit. The day that is filled with the most classes, plus my most badly behaved ones. However, today surprised me - I had a wonderful experience with each and every class. Especially my premier class I have in the afternoon, my fourth class of the day. I showed up, realizing that it is the same class where the teacher is on maternity leave. Another English teacher approached and said that they had found a replacement and that he was supposed to be there. The six students and me waited, and after finding out he truly wasn't coming, I suggested that the six of us just have class instead. They were willing and we ended up have a great time, with them learning a lot of English, me learning a bit of French, reviewing the past and future tenses, and discussing opinions. It is moments like that which I am glad to be a teacher, whether it is in a foreign country with my native language or in my native country with a foreign language.

Tonight after classes, the administration organized a little party for the teachers and workers at the lycée. It was in honor of the New Year, but more specifically, Epiphany, which they heavily celebrate here in Provence due to the King's Cake, or Galette des Rois, which originates from this region of France. Complete with champagne and cider to drink, all of us milled around and made conversation while eating the two different varieties of galettes - one is made from an almond paste/marzipan and the other is a brioche. Tradition is that two pieces, or fèves, are hidden inside the cake. Whoever eats the piece with the fève, is the King and gets the crown, but also has good luck for the year. I ate two pieces of cake, so I could try each kind, and both times got the fève! Guess I'm pretty lucky, eh? It was explained to me that Epiphany is a pretty big deal here in France as it is the official end of the holiday season, it is the holiday to end all holidays. Either way, this queen is pretty excited to be back, knowing how lucky I am to be here!

Pouring the bubbly!

Galette des Rois - this is the brioche kind topped with candied fruit. Notice, it's in the shape of a crown!

*Why so much phone conversation? I have finally set up private lessons with a young boy from the collège (middle school) for one hour on Thursdays every other week. Though this was no easy task, after many missed calls and voicemails, and a call speaking directly to the mother and the student, it is set. Excited for this new experience!
**Translation: winter sales!

No comments:

Post a Comment