Monday, January 27, 2014

Sunshine, feelin' fine

Happy Monday from the beautiful South of France! As I didn't have to teach this morning, I have thoroughly enjoyed my morning reading, exercising, organizing the cabinet full of old lesson plans (and getting more ideas for future classes), and laying out under the sun in the common area of the apartment. Thats right, Friday was just the beginning - I have opened up the windows every morning this weekend and gotten a little sun. I might just have a little tan by the time my birthday rolls around.*

This weekend was a much needed relaxing break. I decided to not go anywhere and just hang around Apt and the apartment. As I was starting to feel a little ill during the week, this was just what I needed to get myself feeling good as new. I had a lot of time to myself to just relax, sleep, read, watch How I Met Your Mother and watch movies. It felt like I was at home for the first time in a long time - although I love traveling and living in a foreign country, at times it can be tiring. I am glad that I took a break this weekend and just took a breath.

Friday night, I went and saw the Secret Life of Walter Mitty. It was completely different than I had expected to be and caused me to think and reflect on traveling in a completely new way. Now, more than ever, I want to go and see the world - being here has definitely bitten me with the travel bug! I find myself daydreaming of far off places and making tentative plans in my future. What this experience has taught me is that if you want to make it happen, you have to be active in pursuing your goals. I can say that I want to travel to Machu Picchu in the future and list it as a dream in my head, but I know now that if you want to go somewhere, just make the plans to do it! You will never regret your decision to see a new place, no matter how much money it costs to get there.**

Feeling like I needed to get out of the apartment for a bit on Saturday, with Walter Mitty's spontaneity on my mind, I decided to go out for a walk on the cycling track with camera in tow. Maybe walk is not an appropriate word, I should say hike. I had never explored this part of town, and especially by myself I sometimes get wary. But I found this to be such a nice and peaceful walk, with beautiful views spanning over the city, that I did not mind the weird looks I got from passersby. It also proved to be some great exercise, climbing a huge flight of stairs after walking for an hour on the trail left me a little out of breath - not just from the activity but from the gorgeous sight at the top of the hill.

Told you there was a lot of stairs....


Saturday night, I enjoyed a dinner made from the new crockpot - honey sesame chicken with rice. Coupled with a great Bordeaux, I settled in and watched Chocolat, a movie I have seen before but realized how much I enjoy it now - with its setting predominately showing the culture of provincial French towns. As I now have much experience living in one of these towns, I related very much to the subject.

Yes, that is Barney Stinson in the background. I might have watched some How I Met Your Mother too...

With my lazy weekend over, it is time to start another week of teaching - filled with new lessons like role-playing the 3 little pigs. This rest was just what I needed, and now I am geared up for another sunny week here in Provence.

*Side note: I CAN NOT believe I turn 24 in 9 days. Cue quarter life crises right.... now.
**Plus, there are super affordable ways to travel out there - don't let money get in the way of your goals!

No comments:

Post a Comment