Sunday, December 1, 2013

Holly Jolly Weekend

Sitting in my warm room listening to Christmas music, I can really say that I am starting to get in the spirit of the holidays.

I spent this past weekend in Avignon, staying at Liz, Chase and Maria's apartment and enjoying their company as well as a bit of the city. I arrived on Friday and couldn't help but unconsciously celebrate Black Friday in France for the day. In other words, I went shopping - but unfortunately, there were no sales or huge deals to be had. However, I did get a new winter coat and weekend bag, both completely necessary items. After Liz and I stopped ourselves from continuing to buy things, we headed back to their apartment for warmth, dinner and a bit of Christmas crafts. Although I really want to have a Christmas tree to get in the spirit of the season, I know it doesn't make sense to buy one, as they are SUPER expensive here and I am leaving here in 19 days.* So we decided to make our own mini Christmas trees.

My little snowy Christmas tree!

On Friday night, I also baked a pumpkin pie! My mom had sent me all the ingredients and tins to make my favorite Thanksgiving dessert earlier this month but I was not able to make it yet, as I only have the sparking hot plate at my apartment in Apt. I asked them if I could make this treat, and they obliged me to use their kitchen and oven. I could not have been more thankful for this, as the pie turned out amazingly delicious, just like Mom makes it at home. I was happy to be able to share this with friends, felt like a nice Thanksgiving moment here in France.


Tasted like home!


Saturday morning, I awoke and decided to use the remainder of the pie filling to make some pumpkin pancakes. As I didn't necessarily have all the ingredients, I kind of just eyeballed and estimated for the recipe, but they still turned out delicious!

Pumpkin crazy




During the morning, Liz and I explored the market that has just come to town there. It reminded me of part of the Apt market, just the portion that sells clothes and everyday items. Needless to say, it wasn't anything special per say. But later on that day, Nysa joined us and we set off for the Christmas market that had just opened in Place de l'Horloge. Although I'm sure it was nothing like the German Christmas markets we will be seeing in a few weekends, the Christmas market in Avignon was still just as jolly as could be imagined. Filled with vendors selling specialty Provencal Christmas villages to children's toys and games to Christmas cakes and cookies, this market with its twinkling lights and garland decorations definitely was filled with holiday cheer. And the vin chaud and crepe avec nutella that I had only helped me fall in love with this quaint market.






That evening, we enjoyed a nice night in, drinking wine and talking. It was fun just exchanging stories, from France and the States, and having lots of laughs between all of us. We did step out once to see the amazing light show that was happening at the Palais des Papes. Evidently, they had this light show in September as well, as some of the assistants saw it when they first arrived in France. It was such a success, they decided to bring it back for just one week of the holiday season. I am so glad that I got the opportunity to see it - the way that the lighting artist used the Palais as his palette is truly remarkable. I just stood there in awe while taking in the swirling colors, bright images and triumphant music. It is one of the things from this year in France that I won't forget.


The show was a mix of the old and new - showing the history of the Palais des Papes mixed with Avignon's modern culture.

Words can't describe.

So breathtaking!

Today, we had a nice sleep in and a lazy afternoon. We did turn on some Christmas music for a bit, while they worked on more Christmas crafts for the apartment. This week, I am definitely going to make some decorations for here in Apt, the place needs a little more cheer. After a long bus ride where I couldn't help but fall asleep, I have spent the rest of my day planning for classes this week. I am kind of nervous for tomorrow - not for assisting but I am beginning to teach my modern English lessons at the business that I met with last week. As they didn't give me specific things they want to know, I figured we would just start with learning how to introduce themselves and talk about themselves. Hopefully this is not too basic, but again, its hard to know their levels before the first lesson. Either way, I am excited to get started! 


*Not like I am counting down or anything.... SO EXCITED to see friends and family at home! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment