Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Joyeux Noël

Here we are finally - Christmas vacation! Well not really there yet, I still have one full day of teaching tomorrow, but I won't have time to write before I start my crazy journey home.
The past few days have been quite solitary. With only two classes Monday and two today, I have a lot of free time on my own. This is something I wouldn't normally mind, but as Amy left last week to go back to England for the holidays, I couldn't help but feel a little alone here in Apt. However, I had much to keep myself busy with: cleaning, laundry, last minute Christmas shopping, reading and watching movies. And the thought that Friday evening I will be back with my family at home has been pushing me through these last days.

I decided to do a nice thing for all my teachers that I work with and wrote Christmas cards to them (in French) with Lindt truffles attached. I just couldn't help myself to get into the spirit of the season, and I think that they really appreciated them.

Christmas cheer!

Plus, I also received a very nice card in return from one of the teachers. It is this simple gesture that warms my heart this time of year. Not only that but they had been planning on trying to have a Christmas get-together with all the English teachers based on my schedule, but unfortunately everyone is extremely busy this time of year so they promised to have a dinner and invite me in January. I was touched knowing that they tried either way, and am excited to be able to even have the opportunity to see and speak with them outside of school.

She even drew a snowman on the envelope!

Hectic doesn't even begin to describe tomorrow and Friday. Tomorrow I will teach six classes and have a two hour lunch, which I must run back to my apartment and grab my bags and make sure everything is in order before I leave.* Then, a quick bus to Avignon to stay at Liz's and after a short night's sleep, we are taking a 5am TGV to Paris. With navigation of the metro to Charles de Gaulle, I have a flight from Paris-Montreal, then Montreal-Chicago. Even with the three hour drive home from there, I know I won't care as I will be with family! I cannot even begin to describe the excitement I have to be home and to see family and friends. I am so happy and grateful for the amazing opportunity to be living in France for this year, but there is nothing like being home for the holidays. So, until January when I return to France, I am saying au revoir to this blog - I am going to profitez-bien this time with those I love most. So to you and yours, joyeux noël et bonne année!

One last holiday window mural

*I say grab my bags because I have only 20 minutes to catch the bus to Avignon after class, which doesn't leave me enough time to go back and fetch them. So instead, I am relying on the women at la loge, whom I haven't asked yet, to let me leave them there for my afternoon classes. Here's hoping that I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment