Thursday, December 12, 2013

I'm coming for you, Allemagne!

After a busy week teaching here in Apt, I am happy to say that it is the beginning of my last weekend in Europe before Christmas break. One week from today, I will be in Avignon and will take the first train to Paris Friday morning, beginning my flights home. I can not begin to explain my excitement to be able to see friends and family for the holidays so soon, what a blessing this Christmas!

My week of teaching was full of ups and downs as usual. On Tuesday, I had a great day full interested motivated students. One even came up to me after class and inquired about having private lessons with me starting after the break! Such a joy to teach when the students are invested in learning.

Wednesday, I continued to have good classes and got another offer to give private lessons for a student at the college*. His teacher is one that talks with me quite often in the staff room, as she studied at Albion College and has been to Kalamazoo. Small world, right? Anyway, she said that he does not know much English and may not be that motivated but she thinks he would benefit from the lessons. I am excited to have this potential opportunity as well, being able to use my knowledge for teaching all levels. Plus, it is always great to have a little extra money and more to do around Apt!

After class, I had a lovely lunch with Amy and Alison back at the apartment, complete with wine and baguette. It was nice to all catch up after so much traveling, we all had many stories to share. As the daylight was soon ending, I managed to squeeze in a pile of errands in town. As I was walking back into town while the sun was setting, I realized clearly how comfortable I have gotten here. It was one of those rare times you reflect on where you've been and how much you have changed - the person that arrived here in France three months ago is certainly different than the person I am now. I have pushed myself to see new places, use French in everyday life and in some sticky situations**, meet people from many different countries and walks of life, and overall become a stronger, more independent and self-assured person. All of this has happened in three months, I can not imagine how I much I will change within the next 4-5 months after I come back to France. All I can say is I am excited for the journey.

Today was just my typical busy Thursday of six classes, though upon meeting my teacher for my second class, I was free from my duties as they were watching a movie and forgot that I was coming. Some things never change. Also with that sentiment, I was informed today that I do not need to show up to any of my classes Tuesday, as all English classes are taking the BAC blanc - a mock version of the big standardized test that all French youngsters take at the end of their high school career and determines the outcome of the rest of their lives. Think of the SAT, but on steroids. Either way, this means that I will be only working 10 hours next week - Merry Christmas to me!

A couple interesting things happened in class today. The first was in a very well behaved class, one of the best students who constantly participates accidentally said f***. I know what you're thinking, how can you accidentally say that?! But he was trying very hard to make his phrase and accidentally said something wrong grammatically and before I could help him, it slipped out under his breath. What ensued next was a comical scene of him digging his hole deeper, by saying "oh my gosh! S*** I mean, crap, I'm so sorry!" and so on. I told him it was fine and that everyone makes mistakes but for it to not happen again. Poor kid even came up to me after class to apologize to me again!

In one of my more difficult classes to teach, I was told that I was going to take five students as usual, but to be prepared as these ones would probably not want to talk or participate. As this was normal for me with this group, I made no big reaction. However, one of the students refused to go, and he got in a heated argument with the teacher, which led to him screaming about the last time he went with me "je n'ai pas pu comprendre rien!"*** Needless to say, he was sent down to the Vie Scolaire and issued some punishment. Was still interesting to witness an argument about me... that I could definitely understand every word...

Then, in my final class of the day, you may remember that I had to kick out a kid from this class last week. Upon the teacher asking, I showed her which student it was. Then she proceeded to lecture the whole class while I was standing there, pinpointing the student and asking him what happened. He was forced to apologize to me in front of everyone. Though awkward, it made his behavior much better and the class better in general. I hope the impact of this chat continues to future weeks.

With all of this, I am happy that it is the weekend! Even more so, I am so excited to say that I am visiting a new country - Germany! Tomorrow, after a day of packing, planning and cleaning at home, I will take an overnight train from Avignon to Stuttgart with Liz and Nysa. We will have all Saturday to explore the city and wander around its amazing Christmas markets, traveling back on Sunday. I can  not think of a better way to spend the weekend before I go home for the holidays, soaking up as much Bavaria as I can in one of the oldest Christmas markets in Germany. So until next week, Auf Wiedersehen!****

Will be walking through here so soon!
 
*college = middle school in France. No, it's nothing like college in the U.S.
**Though I still feel like I can/need to improve A LOT more. But that's what I feel like learning a foreign language is: a lifelong education.
***Translation: I could not understand anything!
****Also, say a little prayer for me... I just had to look up what goodbye was in German. Hoping my English and French will get me by!

No comments:

Post a Comment