Tuesday, April 15, 2014

A calming stay in Cassis

This weekend literally flew by with the blink of an eye. As it was the last weekend before the end of the assistantship, back in February, Amy, Alison and I booked a hostel in Cassis, to celebrate an amazing seven months while relaxing on the beach and by the pool. As the day we booked this excursion, it had been pouring rain and quite gloomy, we were only hoping for beautiful weather along the Mediterranean for our last weekend together.

On Friday, we went into Avignon and spent the afternoon with many of Alison’s Erasmus friends who are studying in Avignon. With a lovely afternoon lounging on the Ile de Barthelesse, soaking up the sunshine, it was wonderful to meet so many different people from so many different places around the world. After a wonderful dinner made by my British chefs here*, we went to one of Alison’s friends’ apartments to enjoy some wine and franglais conversation. That is one of the things that this weekend made me realize – I am going to miss being able to talk in a mélange of French and English whenever I want, with everyone I know being able to understand me.  

When we woke up early on Saturday to start traveling, it was quite cloudy and mild in Avignon, leading us to think that maybe our wonderful beach weekend wasn’t going to be all what we were expecting. But while we were on the train heading further and further south to Marseille, the clouds disappated, leaving clear blue skies and sunshine washing over the sea. We walked through Marseille to Place Castellane – where the bus left for Cassis. Now, I have taken a lot of bus rides through my time in France and Europe this year. This was by far one of the scariest ones I had been on, with windy roads followed by steep drops, only a small guard rail protecting you from certain death. If I didn’t have la vertige**, it would have been a wonderful ride, filled with spectacular view of les Garrigues and the sea. Either way, after a short 30 minute bus ride and 10 minute walk, we arrived at our hostel. This hostel was one of the best I have been to. It offered an infinity pool with lawn chairs, breakfast on the terrace, a beautiful garden and friendly staff. The building itself was just a villa that had been split up and put into dorms. When I return to Cassis, I would definitely stay at Cassis Hostel – was a great value for a great location. 



After dropping things off, we headed down to the beach and met up with other assistant friends Liz and Cary. It was a perfect afternoon, the sun shining intensely with the cool sea breeze making it a perfect temperature. We spent the afternoon relaxing, talking, dipping our feet in the ridiculously cold sea water and indulging in gelato from Amorino. With the stunning views of Cap Canaille in the background, I could not imagine a better way to spend my last Saturday as an assistant in the South of France, at my favorite place in France with my favorite people. 


Once the breeze proved to be a little too chilly, we said final goodbyes to Liz and Cary and went back to the hostel to enjoy some poolside sunshine. Another great thing about staying in a hostel is the opportunity to meet people from all walks of life. One of the workers there, Christian, told us about his life and gave us advice about what he has found nice in Cassis. After our lounging, we said bye to Fran, washed up and collected items for a nice picnic dinner on the beach. Even though we had to move shortly into our meal and relocate to the port, it was the best way I could have imagined spending my last Saturday night – with great food, wine, and two of the best assistants to share it with. We were drawn to reflecting that night, about the experience, about travels, and about growth within ourselves. It was wonderful to take the time with these wonderful friends to be a little melancholic – although we are excited to get home and see everyone we love, we each realize it will be hard to leave this place.



After a good night’s sleep and a wonderful breakfast on the terrace overlooking Cassis, we suited up and spent Sunday morning by the pool. The sun did get a little intense, meaning I might have the burns to prove it, but it was the end cap of a great weekend. As we headed back to Marseille then Avignon via train, all of us in a minor sun daze and thinking of the amazing place we were leaving behind us, we couldn’t help but feel a bit sad. When we all said goodbye to each other once and for all while Amy and I boarded our bus for Apt, I couldn’t help but have tears in my eyes. This experience as an assistant may have had its rough times. But above it all, you always knew that there were people here going through those same types of struggles. It is hard to say goodbye, knowing you might never see those people again, but you have to say au revoir instead of adieu, leaving it optimistic and positive for future meetings. I will never forget this weekend with my favorite people here in France. Now, my last week of teaching - c'est parti!

*Guys, they just make my cooking look bad. I thought I was pretty good at cooking/baking before coming here, but these girls are on a whole different level!
**Translation: If I wasn’t scared of heights.

No comments:

Post a Comment