Friday, April 18, 2014

British or American?

When I applied to be an English Teaching Assistant in France, my main goal was to learn more of and improve my knowledge of the French language; a goal in which I feel like I have attained. However, I never expected to learn so much about my native language of English! As I have lived the past seven months with Amy, a British university student, I have learned that how the British speak is miles different from how Americans speak. I find it only fitting to finally post my list of differences between British and American English today, as I just said a final (and tear-filled) goodbye to my British flatmate this morning. So, here goes!

**Note: this was a list compiled over the course of our living together. It is from our personal realizations of differences between our nation's vernaculars and is not at all complete.**




American
British
Fries
Chips
Chips
Crisps
Flashlight
Torch
Sweater
Jumper
Garbage/Trash
Rubbish
Vacation
Holiday/s
Hot plate
Hob
Sneakers
Trainers
Sweatpants
Track suit bottoms
Panties
Knickers
Movie
Film
Candy
Sweets
Math
Maths
Pimples
Spots
Dinner/Supper
Tea
Fall
Autumn
Saran wrap
Cling Film
Wallet
Purse
Garbage can
Bin
Coupons/Gift cards
Vouchers
Check-out
Till
Mocking you/Making fun of you
Taking the piss out of you
Hard cookies
Biscuits
Movie theatre
Cinema
Lucky
Jammy
Sledding
Sledging
Pajamas
Jimmies
Wrinkles
Creases
Santa Clause
Father Christmas
Crock Pot
Slow cooker
Pants
Trousers
Eraser
Rubber
I don’t care
I’m not bothered
Round Trip
Return
Little things
Bits and bobs
Apartment
Flat
Roommate
Flat mate
Thumb tacks
Pins
Mardi Gras
Pancake Day
Closed
Shut
My house/your house/her house
Mine/your’s/her’s
Go to bed
Tuck in
Lay out
Sunbathe
Dessert
Pudding
Braid
Plait
Hair tie
Hair bauble
Take Pick
It does what it says on the label
It does what it says on the tin
Line
Queue
Bill
Note
Grades
Marks
Canker sores
Ulcers
2:30
Half two
What do you want to do?
What do you fancy?
Drive stick
Drive with gears
Bachelorette Party
Hen night
Expenses
Outgoings
In a wedding
Going to be a bridesmaid/groomsmen
Cup of tea
Cuppa 


All the vocabulary differences aside, I could not have imagined spending seven months with a greater person. Living in Apt is hard - it is one of those things that is difficult to explain to people that have not experienced the assistantship like we have. Through good times and bad, we got each other through this experience and I can not be more grateful to have gained another great friend, British or not. Although she will be across the pond, I hope we will stay in contact for years to come, with reunions in England, America or elsewhere. To Amy, wishing you a last two great weeks in Provence, and best of luck in your adventures this summer and beyond! Tu vas me manquer!* xxx**


*Look, I finally figured out how to order it!
**Your British ways are rubbing off on me... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment