Sunday, September 22, 2013

A day of rest? Never.

Sundays in southern France are extremely different than Sundays in America. Most restaurants and stores are closed - the day is reserved as a true day of rest, to spend time with family and friends or go to church if you may be religious (though many are not in this part of France, as I have noticed).

Today, I was invited to spend the day with my coordinating teacher Cathy and her family. She mentioned that a few friends might be coming the other day but wasn't sure. As we hadn't spoken in a few days, I wasn't going to be surprised if she forgot about inviting me. But sure enough, at 10:30am, I receive a text saying she was on her way to pick me up and a note saying to bring tennis shoes, as we will probably be going for a walk in the afternoon. This should have been my first clue as to the day's plans.

When she came to pick me up at the school, she called and told me to meet her across the street as she couldn't get through. I was confused by this, until I reached the front parking lot and noticed the whole lot was taken up by people selling their old stuff. Like a garage sale but in someone else's lot. When she asked me what was going on, I tried my best to explain in French the scene. She then gave me a new word to describe it: vide-grenier - literally, emptying everything out of your attic. If they are items of actual value (read: antiques), it is known as marché brocante (translation: flea market) - but in this case, it definitely was a vide-grenier.

We proceeded to drive to Cathy's house which is in a village that is about a 10 minute drive away from Apt, called Saint-Saturnin-lès-Apt, a littler, more typical provencal town. I was immediately greeted by the rest of her family, her two daughters Eloise and Amandine, and her husband Marc who is another one of the English teachers I will be working with here at the lycée. Then, with the dog Fluffy in tow, we proceeded to do a quick hike of the village and the historical buildings it posesses. Now, when I say quick, I was later told that that same hike is normally done in an hour and a half. We completed it in a half hour.

As I didn't bring my nice camera with me (I wasn't sure of the day's plans), here is what I managed to capture of the beautiful hike throughout the hills of the Luberon through the view of my camera phone.

View of the rolling hills of the Luberon. Yup, this is where I live!

L'eglise de Saint-Saturnin-les-Apt, the church of the village.

Le moulin, or windmill, which dates back to the 12 century. Actually there are 4 of these on site but this one is in the best condition.

The walking was a little rough, I almost slipped several times.


La chapelle de Saint-Saturnin-les-Apt, which also dates back to the 12th century. You can only reach it by foot, and again it is a little slippery to make it all the way to the top.

Beautiful view of Saint-Saturnin-les-Apt from the pathway leading to the chapel.

Another view of the pathway and town (and that's Eloise on the right!)
After that light hike, we returned back to the house to meet Cathy's friend, Patrick, and his wife. Patrick is also and English teacher and him and his wife live in Nice. We all sat down and had a typical French Sunday lunch with 4 courses. First, vegetable salad with a chilled white cheese sauce*. Second, and main course, poulet et poivrons rouges, which was chicken with green and red peppers served over rice. Third, the cheese plate, which included three goat cheeses and even the American delicacy "Philidelphia" (aka: cream cheese)**. Fourth, and finally, dessert which was an almond and raisin tart AND les flambottes (spelling?), which resembled whipped cream mixed with crème anglaise. Yes, there were two desserts, and of course bread and red wine filled for every course. As I haven't eaten much since I've gotten here, I ate about two day's worth in that one sitting. It was absolutely marvelous.

After lunch, we went on a more leisurely stroll through the hills of the Luberon. It was just so nice to spend such a beautiful day with such kind people. Although the entire day French was spoken between everyone (with a word or two in English every once in awhile), I had little trouble comprehending. When they asked me at lunch why I've come here this year, what do I hope to accomplish, I said without a doubt to improve my French. I really think that they took that to heart, as I learned so much already today, and it sounds like they will continue to help me in my quest. They already agreed that when we are at school in front of students, we will speak in English. But at any other time, French will be used so I can continue to practice. The pure generosity and kindness I have been greeted with just being here for five days makes me realize what an amazing experience this already is.

After talking for a bit more, and saying goodbyes and mercis, complete with me exchanging la bise (as they said "tu es française maintenant!" translation: you are french now, it was almost an expression saying ‘you are one of us!’), I left with Patrick and his wife, as they could drop me off on their way back to Nice. As they dropped me at the school, they said that if I ever want to go that part of the coast, I would surely have a "stopover" with them. Again, so kind after knowing me for such short a time.

I guess you could say I checked off one of the things from my bucket list already today: "hiked around the hills of the Luberon with no itinerary in mind." Although my incredibly sore legs would not agree that this was truly a "day of rest", I think I can truly say that it was a day well spent.


*I know what you all are thinking: yes, I had the cheese sauce. It looked like and tasted sour cream, so that was fine.

**Again, I see your confused faces out there: yes, I partook in the cheese plate. Again, since I was their main guest they kept serving me first, and I didn't want to be rude. However, one of those goat cheeses... really scared me... I had to just swallow it hole with a sip of wine. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment