Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Toute seule en Provence


Toute seule is one of those French phrases that can have many different meanings, depending on who it is coming from and what context it is being used in. In the simplest of translations, it means alone. But it can also have the connotation of a borderline exaggeration, meaning completely alone; to find out if one is in a relationship, it could mean single; and said with the right intonation, it can mean lonely.

I have gotten that question numerous times with the various meanings listed above this past week: “Tu es toute seule?” And I can never quite decide how to answer it. Because although, yes, I have been the only one living in this apartment this past week, I don’t ever feel like I have been truly alone. The Provencal people here have a way of making you feel welcome, whether they are inviting you over to spend Sunday lunch with their family or just offering a friendly “bonjour!” as you are walking down the street. I am not joking about the bonjour thing; it happens with nearly every person I pass on the street. I feel like I am Belle in the fictitious village she lived in Beauty and the Beast, with people just continuing to shout it everywhere.

Really though, this is my life!

For the past two days in Provence, I truly have been toute seule and have been living life just like that. Yesterday, I had what I dubbed a lazy lundi – I attempted to stay in and clean, paint my nails and continue reading. I did have to go out to get food at the cantine and to recharge my internet (which I found out is not unlimited…. whoops). 

Today, I went out on a mission. A few days ago, on looking through my information for my bank account, I realized they had recorded the wrong address on my statement. I also wanted to put money into my account so I could get set up a direct pay contract for internet, so I figured I would have to make an appointment of some sort to do this. I walked in and explained my problem to the woman at the desk and that I wanted to put money in my account. She did it all for me in less than 5 minutes. Chouette! AND she complimented me on how well I spoke French, totally voluntarily. Guess I am improving!

Then I was off to SFR to change my plan with them. From what I had read, I would have to sign up for a 12 month contract, except that I am only going to be here for 9 months. I explained my predicament to the woman working, and she said that she found that I could still set up a monthly plan with them (which includes less money, more usage and is directly taken from my bank account) without a contract. SCORE! And on my walk back to the apartment, whilst saying a passing-by bonjour to the cafeteria cooks (I am serious about this bonjour thing), I got to talking with one of the chefs and he wants me to tutor his son in English! Such an awesome opportunity, hope I’ll get the chance to do it! I seriously felt so accomplished today that I decided to tackle a few other French things I had been avoiding… like….how to do laundry. (cue scary music here)

After reading the paper directions, looking up clearer directions online, and navigating the washer, I successfully did a load of darks! And my clothes aren’t ruined! 

Took me awhile to figure out which setting to use...

Yes, a popular laundry detergent in France sounds a heck of a lot like the town I live in. Don't be fooled, not produced here.

One of the four page confusing directions, so....

How-to blogs save me again!
How to dry clothes in France: use hanging rack, line dry outside of window (not shown), or hang off every possible surface in the room.
Another thing that I have been trying to avoid, how to use the heating plate and to make my own dinner, I accomplished today as well! I made a dinner for myself of beef ravioli with tomato sauce* along with a fresh baguette that I picked up in town today.

The ravioli was actually kind of disgusting, definitely not the same as the US!

Tomorrow brings another day of getting organized. Today, I received my first rent facture, or bill, for next month. So, it will be time to go to le service intendance to take care of that, as well as give them my relevé d’identité bancaire** and ask about how I may be able to get an advance on my first salary. Oh, the amount of administrative work to get this all set up… I will be happy when it is all organized. And tomorrow also brings the arrival of my roommate and other English assistant, Amy! Will be happy to finally share the apartment and my time here with someone else, plus it will be nice to not be “toute seule” anymore. But for tonight, I will enjoy my last night here to myself – reading and watching Friends in French. C’est la vie, la vie d’une assistante.

*I know what you’re thinking Mom, but it is really one of the only things I can make with what I have available. 
**From what I understand about this document, it facilitates setting up direct deposits from employers or payments to companies for rent and such. I don’t know what the translation of it would be in America, just another completely necessary French document. Like the other 100 I need. 
***Translation: That’s life, the life of an assistant.

No comments:

Post a Comment