Monday, September 16, 2013

So long, Farewell, Auf Wiedersehen, Goodbye....

So here we are: last day in the U.S.A. until about June of next year.* I never thought this day would come; I have spent so long waiting for this grand adventure to begin and now that it is here, I feel like that I haven't had enough time to prepare. I always tend to get a tad nervous before traveling, especially when flying as I do have a bit of flight anxiety**, so these past few days have been stressful to say the least. But I know it will be all worth it once I am there and settled in.

I have been "packing" for weeks. My definition of packing: sorting through all my junk into piles, whittling those piles down with copious edits, doing numerous test packs with weighing my bag, writing down what items I still need, etc. After 3 test packs, countless edits, and several hours of planning and strategy, I have fit all of my necessary belongings in 1 checked bag, 1 carry on and 1 over-sized purse. Now, I am planning on paying overweight charges for my bag (as when I did the final weigh in, it clocked in at 60 lb for my checked bag) but this is a much better deal than paying for another checked bag with the airline I am taking.

9 months worth of stuff (not pictured but also packed: black pea coat, set of bed sheets)

My carry-on and suitcase pre-packing. And look at the shoes: REALLY had to consolidate here.
Mostly, I brought a lot of basics that I can layer once it starts getting colder. I am lucky that I will be living in the south, where I have heard it doesn't get too cold during the winter season. Some of the more odd items that I packed: 1 roll of toilet paper, a set of bed sheets, 2 cell phones, copies of a couple one act drama pieces and maps of MI and the U.S.*** To explain the toilet paper, I will be getting into my town later in the day so I won't really have a chance to go out and get any once I arrive (and the secretary of the school included a reminder in an email that they don't provide this for the rooms, merci beaucoup!)

So I guess this is au revoir for right now until I get overseas! I leave tomorrow from Chicago at 6pm and won't arrive in my new home of Apt until 4:30pm the following day (if you are not keeping track with the math: that means I will be traveling for about 18 HOURS). Although I will be using this as often as I can to share my experiences with all of you, I know that I don't have internet/wifi immediately when I get there. Once I have it, you will be greeted with many stories and pictures!

I hate goodbyes (not taking into account the title of this post), so to everyone reading this from the U.S., I am going to say à bientôt : see you soon! To France, I am going to say allons-y: let's go!

*I say June.. but it will probably be more like the end of May, haven't bought my return ticket home yet.

**This may be the biggest understatement in this blog. 

***I am bringing these items to use in the classroom, one of my coordinating teachers has told me that I will be able to help out with a theatre club while I am there. Putting my performing knowledge to use!

2 comments:

  1. I wish I had seen this earlier - I would have met you at O'Hare to say goodbye. I hope you had a smooth flight. I look forward to hearing all of your adventures. I picture you in the raspberry beret from "Someday" and know you will have a great year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thanks Mrs. Hutchings! My flight was quite smooth and I am starting to get settled here in Apt, it is definitely a learning experience thus far. :)

    ReplyDelete