Wednesday, October 9, 2013

"I like vacations at the bitch" "I think you mean bEAch. Be careful..."

Today, I finally set foot in a classroom. Actually two to be exact. On Wednesdays, I am assisting just for two hours in the morning, in two 2e (seconde, kind of like sophmores in high school) classes. After having the wrong classrooms on my schedule (are you really surprised by now?), I made it to my first class, where I just sat in the back and observed. The difference between American and French classes is kind of uncanny to me - they focus so much on grammar and yet it doesn't seem to completely flow at times. I kind of miss the organization of American lessons: anticipatory set followed by presentation of information, etc. It was a little hard for me to follow. But what was interesting is to hear the students speaking English quite well or, in some cases, having a little trouble with pronunciation, which lead to some giggle-worthy moments like the title of this post.

In between classes, I went to the salle des profs and got to meet two of the other teachers I will be working with, who are both so kind. One even gave me her phone number in case I ever needed anything and insisted that I would come to the faculty Christmas party. So nice after just meeting them! Then, another change to my schedule occurred as the next teacher I was going to observe had a test* and so I went with the teacher I will be with next week as well, Isabelle.

In this class, I was a more integral role. I sat for the first half while they went over homework and then the students had to interview me and write down their answers. Of course, all questions in English and some were, in my opinion, borderline inappropriate. Like "do you smoke", "do you drink alcohol", and of course the age-old classic "do you have a boyfriend"? But Isabelle didn't seem to think any of the questions were a problem, always helping the students form the questions or repeating them to me. I guess the French have a different idea of what is okay to ask an assistant in the classroom!

All in all, good short day today but I still feel kind of unprepared. This week is observation, but next week I am supposed to prepare lessons... on which I am not entirely sure what I am supposed to prepare. The one thing that you may realize that is getting on my nerves here: lack of organization. It is definitely the French way and I guess I am just going to have to get used to it. However, the students seemed sweet and curious, hoping that this is the start of a great time assisting at this school!

This afternoon, I spent time in town wandering around, looking at restaurants and shops, though I have to say not a lot was open. It is Wednesday, which by definition means most things are closed, but even with that, I have been seeing more and more signs up on shops lately saying that they are on vacation and will be back in a few weeks. It's slow season here in Provence, and the shop keepers I think are feeling it.

Kind of hard to see, but these signs are everywhere! On closed shop gates
Also, got a subscription at the library here in town, where I can get books, CDs, and DVDs to rent as well as use internet on their computers when I want.** And I had just enough time this afternoon to soak up some sun on a park bench and try my new pastry of the week, tarte au chocolat. Not a bad first day at all.

Like nutella pie. I'm in love.

Another beautiful blue skied day in Provence.

*Again, didn't know I was coming so didn't plan to introduce me or anything. Dis-organization.
**There is a limit of 30 minutes a day, so I won't be using this too much.. just when another possible solution to our Wifi problem though.

No comments:

Post a Comment