Thursday, October 10, 2013

Working 9-5... then the weekend!




I have successfully made it through my first FULL day as an assistant! I am saying this because I only sat in two classes yesterday, and was done by noon. The beauty of my schedule is that I work very little Mon-Wed (sometimes not at all, in the case of Mondays) but Thursday is JAM-PACKED! I mean, not nearly busy in American standards, but I do teach for 6 hours on Thursdays. It is my busiest day of the week, assisting in classes from 9am until 5pm.* 

Today, I did a random assortment of things depending on the level of the class I was in, or which teacher I was working with. I still sat and observed in some classes but today, I got the opportunity to work with Terminale** students in groups of two, working heavily on their pronunciation. This was just sprung upon me in my first class this morning, and although I was surprised, I was happy to have the opportunity to work with students one on one. I really felt like I made a little difference! Also, in another class of 1er*** students, I got to take them in groups of 3 or 4 and we all got to introduce ourselves and ask questions to each other. This probably was my favorite thing I have done thus far – I felt like I was having conversations with them, rather than in many other classes just standing up in front of the class waiting for them to ask me questions made me feel quite awkward. And I think that is a little awkward for the students as well, I mean who wants to be wrong asking a question in front of all your best friends and this American assistant you just met? The small groups are way less intimidating, and they get individual help in the process! 

Although I had six classes today, I still don’t have that much of an idea of what lessons I need to plan for next week. Some teachers are explicit on what they would like me to do (ex:” I want you to take half the class and work on something conversational for the 50 minute period.”). Done, I can do that – specific yet broad enough that I can decide what I want. However, others are very vague (ex: “Well, sometimes I will have you take them in groups, but sometimes you will be just helping us in the classroom.) Um, what am I supposed to do with that? Do I have to plan a lesson or not? I guess I will just keep being a magician – always having something up my sleeve just in case. 

Really though, the students here, today especially, seem so curious to know anything and everything about me and America. Even ones that are not excited about English, were wanting to ask me questions like “Do you go to New York?” (meaning, have you been to New York?) There was also a group of girls who asked which TV shows I liked, and when I responded with my favorites, they started freaking out because they watch those too! They ADORE the culture and way of life in America and were wondering why the heck would I want to come to France. I think I can use this pop culture admiration to my advantage in stirring up conversations later on.

But for right now, it is time to enjoy the weekend. That’s right – one real full day of work and it is my weekend now. I could seriously get used to this. Drinking wine and watching mean girls in French is on the docket tonight, can’t imagine a more relaxing night. Bonne soirée!

*Again, my busiest day is working 9-5pm, with a two hour break in the middle. The French know how to live!
**Terminale students are similar to our high school seniors, they are in their last year at the lycée and next year they will go to university. They have the most experience with learning English (or most do).
***1er, or première, students are similar to high school juniors in America.

2 comments:

  1. Ah reading this takes me back to how it was for me exactly a year ago! I miss it so much and want to go back haha! I hope you're having an awesome time :) Cora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading Cora! I am having an amazing time so far, I am so happy to be doing TAPIF and living in France this year - it's a dream come true :) Becca

      Delete