Friday, October 11, 2013

Le Mistral

Le Mistral.... it is the wind that blows from the North to the South of France. It is said to be the reason for the amazing blue skies that are ever-abundant here in Provence, as it chases away all the clouds in the sky. In the summer, this breeze is quite nice, as it cuts through the blistering heat in this Mediterranean region. However, everyone has said beware: the mistral in the winter will cut through you like a knife. Although Provence does not get snow typically, le mistral is said to keep people inside all winter long, due to it's awful frigid temperature.

The past few weeks I have been here have been quite beautiful weather - blue skies almost everyday along with skirt wearing temperatures. However, last night, I was resorted to wear a sweatshirt, long pants, two pairs of socks as well as 3 blankets on my bed, due to the freezing chill that was in the apartment.* Even though it is just the beginning of October, I feel like le mistral is beginning to arrive. And I feel like I am ill-equipped to meet it this winter.

Besides the seasons seeming to change over-night, today was a wonderful day of surprises. This morning, we went down to the gate as always to leave school grounds. The gate keeper waved us into the office, where I was given a large package from home! It was filled with all my favorite things that I can not get here: JIF peanut butter, Reeses peanut butter PUMPKINS, a Hello Kitty travel toothbrush, Twix, Swedish Fish, Reeses pieces, Butterfinger bites, and a tupperware full of my Mom's amazing homemade brownies. I seriously was like screaming with excitement as I unwrapped it.
EEK!

Ummm can we just focus on the Reeses pumpkin right now? IN LOVE

Mom's brownies made the trek all the way across the pond!

Choosy Becca chooses JIF!

Then we bundled up and spent the afternoon in town - running errands and shopping for warmer clothes. Its tempting to want to buy everything that will keep me warm, but I don't get paid until the end of this month, so just the necessities for right now. Then came the second surprise: Amy received a call from a flower shop in town that someone had bought her flowers! She went and picked up her beautiful birthday flowers from her aunt and sister.

Beautiful flowers for the birthday girl!

Adding to the cold breeze flowing through town, new decorations are being put up as well. I said in a previous post that all the shops are closed lately for vacation. Although that is true, the streets have been filled this week with workers putting up strings and strings of lights, making the city festive for the holidays. Amy told me today that the person that does the Christmas decorations here in Apt also does them for the famous streets of the Champs d'Elysees in Paris and Regent Street in London. The lights are not on yet, but they are all in place. Even though it won't be anything like my Dad's amazing Christmas lights display**, I can not wait to see this quaint village around Christmas time.

The start of Noël in Apt

Off to Cannes tomorrow until Sunday, going to celebrate Amy's birthday on the French Riveria!

*Note: my apartment does have a furnace/heater, but it only turns on when the rest of the building has it on. We can't turn it on ourselves.
**If you don't know of my Dad's light display, it is legendary. Each year, he adds more lights. I think the latest record is 16,000, but I could be dreadfully wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment