Tuesday, October 8, 2013

I'm legal!

The past two days have begun my first two official days in the classroom as an assistant. This whole week is known as a semaine d'observation, or an observation week, to get us used to how the class flows and prepare our lessons for next time. The thing is, I actually haven't set foot in a classroom yet. Should you be surprised by now? It's France we're talking about here!

Let me back up. I said in my last post I didn't know what my schedule was yet. Sunday night at 10 pm, I was emailed my schedule and it was explained to me that I didn't have class on Monday. Awesome! Actually, my whole schedule is pretty sweet - I have an alternating week schedule: A weeks I work Tue-Thurs and B weeks I work one class on Mon. and Tue-Thurs. So I always have Fri-Sun off and, sometimes, even Monday too! Hello traveling!

However, though I didn't work yesterday doesn't mean it didn't have its fair share of troubles. Constantly still battling with this internet, never knowing when shops are going to be closed, finding a pile of mail in my staff mailbox (which I didn't even know I had until yesterday, AND I found a bank statement opened. Scary, right?), and figuring out that I WAS supposed to be in class yesterday because it was a B week was enough to send me over the edge. I absolutely feel so blessed to have this experience, to be living my dream of living in France, but every once in a while I miss home. I feel it’s natural; you want what is normal to you, what you are used to, what is comfortable. But I also know that you grow so much more when you are thrown out of your comfort zone, you grow into a better person. So even though I was feeling down yesterday, I know that it is all part of the journey.

Today, I didn't go to class either. I had my mandatory OFII appointment, my appointment to make my visa official with the French government. The appointment that makes me "legal" here.* I had to travel to Avignon for this appointment, so I woke up at 5:30am once again to take the bus that would get me there by 7:30am. My medical part of the appointment started at 9 so I had plenty of time to find the office using the map I wrote the directions on. Forty-five minutes later, I was lost and couldn't find anyone who could tell me which road I was even looking for. Every time I asked, everyone said they had never heard of it. Making a split second decision, I decided to walk back in town to get Wifi and a new map, when I recognized another assistant walking the opposite way. She happened to be on her way to her OFII appointment as well and knew exactly where it was at! I was so happy that I ran into her happenstance, and after walking a half an hour to get to the place, I realized I probably would have never found it if I hadn't ran into her. Someone up there was looking out for me!

The first part of the appointment was a medical exam. Pretty basic exam, like a checkup except we had to get an x-ray of our lungs done, to make sure we didn't have tuberculosis. They take these things seriously here! Then a group of assistants headed off to the Préfecture to get our visas validated. To save the walk back, another assistant who lives and studies in Avignon named Lisa drove us back in her car. After looking for a parking space for what seems like ages, we reached the back of the lot and had to turn around. The person in front of her went to do the same.. without looking... and you probably guessed it, definitely got into a car accident. However, it was just a broken light and a little dent, but still added to the stress of the morning. Once we got in the office, they asked for all the required paperwork and we were in and out of there in 10 minutes. Très facile! The amount of paperwork assembled before the appointment took longer than the actual appointment!
No TB here!

Since I had already told my teachers that I wouldn't be back in time for class, I decided to spend a day exploring Avignon a bit. The assistants went out for a coffee after we all became legal and talked about our various experiences thus far. It’s nice to know you are not alone in how you are feeling in a foreign country, I always love talking to the other assistants and exchanging perspectives. After, I wanted to see a bit of the more touristy side of Avignon, so Lisa and Emily showed me around Palais des Papes and the Pont St Bénézet (or more popularly known as the Pont d'Avignon), being my pseudo-tour guides for the day. I even got to see a little known treasure of Avignon called the Palais du Roure, a 14th century palace that is in a hidden alcove right off the main road in town.

Palais de Papes. This is from the 13th century.

View of Avignon

Pont d'Avignon!

Palais du Roure
We ate lunch and spent the afternoon soaking up the sun at the park off of Rue de la Republique. Once we parted ways, I went to McDonald's to use Wifi and get a drink before I left town and ran into another assistant! I feel like this a common trend that is occurring and I kind of love it - being able to feel like I know people in a town that is nearby truly makes me feel more comfortable here. After a lovely day in Avignon, I took the bus home. The only bad part about today** was the bleeding blisters I brought back to Apt with me, will remember to bring better walking shoes next time around!

First day actually in the classroom tomorrow, on y va!

*Don't take this the other way please.
**Besides the getting lost part at the beginning, but that was so long ago, it feels like yesterday. Also, I got so lost that I am deeming it to be crossed off my bucket list page. Check!

No comments:

Post a Comment