Friday, October 4, 2013

"La grêve? It’s a French tradition!"




Today ended a long week full of travel, orientations, TAPIF, and meeting awesome assistants. 

After hitting the snooze button a few times after hearing my 5:30 alarm, Amy and I hopped on the bus to Avignon at 6:15 this morning. We had gotten about 5 hours of sleep and after all the traveling we had been doing, we were dreading another day full of travel and orientations. We got in at 7:45 and since both of our orientations started at 9:00, we decided to sit and have a relaxing petit-déjeuner, complete with un chocolat chaud and un pain au chocolat.


As I had never actually been in the city of Avignon, I really enjoyed my limited amount of time in the city today. It is a nice clean city, filled with white and off white typical provençal buildings with periwinkle blue shutters. It still has that small town feel with the size of a nice city, plenty of shopping and cafés to explore. I am thinking many trips to Avignon are in the future, as it is the closest bus ride away!

The meeting that required me to be in Avignon today was the formation pédagogique, or the teacher training. I got to spend this session with the other English speaking secondary assistants in my department (the collection of cities surrounding Avignon). We spent the morning defining some words and phrases that we might encounter during our time in the secondary schools. As I had seen many of these before from living in Lycée Charles de Gaulle, it was great to get more clarification on this stuff.* After lunch, they presented us with many examples of different activities we can use with our students during our lessons. 

Coming from the perspective of an assistant who already has a degree in education and a teaching certification, I didn’t learn honestly much new in terms of the types of things I can do to facilitate learning. A lot of the activities shown were activities I have done in my French classroom, just now in English. I don’t want to say today was a waste of time – I can always improve on my teaching, and this assistantship will give me even more experience in the classroom. For that, I am grateful. I am just saying that today I got a little bit bored. Especially with being so exhausted from the past few days of travel.

After the training, Amy and I caught the bus back to Apt and ran into a problem we had yet to experience: Friday rush hour traffic coming out of Avignon. Typically, the bus we take gets us to and from Avignon in an hour and a half. Coming back today, it took 2 hours. For a half hour of it we were in standstill traffic. Oh the embouteillage! Which reminds me of something I have been noticing quite a bit this week: the serious craftsmanship that is driving a bus in the South of France. I remarked to Amy on our windy bus ride down the narrow alleys of Marseille the other day, I seriously don’t know how these people do it! They maneuver these machines like they are compact sports cars, all with complete ease and (though sometimes a bit scary) intense speed. And to top it all off, the drivers are always so kind, never forgetting to tell you bonne journée as you leave the bus. So gentille!

With the craziness from this week dwindling down, I can now start to enjoy a relaxing weekend in Apt, filled with the market, a potential Sunday hike and pique-nique and watching Mean Girls in French. I mean, how else would you spend the weekend after October 3rd?**

*And herein lies the origin of the title of this blog. In starting to talk about strikes, and the inevitable possibility of teachers going on strike during our assistantship , one of the teachers leading the training said “La grêve (strikes)? it’s a French tradition!” Nothing could be more close to the truth.
**If you don’t get this reference, you’re dead to me.***
***I’m only joking. But you seriously can’t sit with us.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment