Thursday, November 7, 2013

Disorganization at its finest... la France!

So school has started once again here in Apt. Though Monday, it didn't start for me.

See I work only every other Monday, and since I worked on Monday before break, I didn't work this Monday. Or next Monday for that matter either, as it is un jour ferié, or a vacation day. I see you reading there in the United States, thinking because I just had a two week vacation that this could not be possible. Well folks, there is no other way to describe it: it's just France.

And I was thankful that I didn't work Monday, as when I woke up, it was one of those very rare days in Provence where it was cold and rainy. I was going to go into town and take care of some errands... but then I decided to just have a duvet day, as Amy would call it. I stayed in, did laundry, watched Friends and read. In fact, I checked something off my bucket list on Monday - I finished reading Harry Potter in French! Now onto the next book in French, L'étranger by Albert Camus. Seemed fitting as he is being celebrated in France this year, for 100 years ago he was born. Plus, I have read this one in English as well, and loved it. I also got to skype Katie Monday night, which helped me kick me out of my home-sick funk.* We discussed some travel plans here in the near future... but won't talk about those until a later post!

Tuesday morning brought my first real day back to work. I made sure I set my alarm before going to sleep before and when I was awoken in the morning, I hit the snooze button. 6 times. Half an hour later, showing 8:15 on my phone, I open up the blinds to my room to see the beautiful sunrise of a typical Provence morning. Then, I looked at my clock on the wall. It said it was 7:15am. I suddenly realized that my phone was an hour ahead, some malfunction with daylight savings time. Either way, reset my alarm and went back to sleep for another hour.


Didn't mind waking up an hour early (accidentally) to see this!

Once arrived in class, Marc, one of the teachers I work with, gave me a list of students to work with. As the students filed in the class, he looked distraught and asked one of them which class this was. He realized he had made a mistake, and this class had a test so I couldn't work with them. First class back, and dis-organization strikes again - trop typique. So even though it wasn't in my schedule, I came back the following hour and worked with those students. After that confusion, I went to spend time at Bar l'Aptois, one of the places we frequent for Wifi. It is nice that they are starting to recognize me though, as when I paid this time, he gave me a Milka bar with a smile.

This little chocolate bar made my day




After this, classes in the afternoon continued. I would like to say that my lessons are going better.. and in some cases they are. But it annoys me how loose some of the teachers are here with everything. For example, in most classes I take half for half the time, and then switch. I would think carefully about what half I would send, taking in account personalities, level of language, etc. But some teachers here don't do that, leaving one group to be completely silent, and the other to be nearly uncontrollable. Maybe its just my education pedagogy talking to me... but this is just one of the things that makes my job a bit more difficult, due to cultural differences. My second class of the afternoon was quite nice though: a small class of seven, the teacher and I. We just sat and had an impromptu conversation about American cities and compared them to European ones. Was a nice way to end the day, as well as being given information for someone who wants private lessons! Hoping that this will turn into something else to keep me busy around here, as well as a little extra cash.


Tuesday afternoon, I spent time in the library, one of my new home away from homes here. I also indulged in a new pastry of the week: tarte confiture. Specifically, this one was of framboises, or raspberries. I love this specific patisserie's tarte crust, but I wasn't the hugest fan of it. I mean, trust me, it was delicious - but maybe a bit too much jam for me.

Raspberry heaven
Today awoke with a start. I saw the light peeking in through the blinds and, having slept soundly, decided to open them before my alarm. Once raised, I glanced at the clock. It was 8:30. My first lesson began at 8:55. I shot out of bed, got dressed and quite literally ran to my first lesson. But of course it didn't matter, the teacher was 10 minutes late. Again, France wins. I don't mean to always be complaining about the work side of this experience, as there are some moments that I love and it keeps me busy here. But the second lesson of today was further proof of how French dis-organization doesn't solve anything.

I work on an every other week schedule. Before break, the time slot for my second lesson today had been switched to accommodate a test one of the teachers had. I had discussed it with one of the teachers and she said the switch would be permanent. When trying to find her classroom today, I ran into the other teacher who said "you are with me today, right?" Explaining the situation to her, she told me to go ask the other teacher to make sure. Reading my schedule and finding her classroom number, I walked into the class, meeting the eyes of 30 students who were not my own and a very perturbed French teacher. Finding out the classrooms had been changed while pointing me down the hallway, I proceeded to walk into another wrong classroom, where I had to embarrassingly duck out murmuring a quick "pardon". Going back to the original teacher, who assures me that she wasn't waiting for me (even though I knew she was), I just decided to have class with her this week. And to top it all off, later this afternoon, I received an e-mail from one of my teachers asking me to prepare a completely different lesson for tomorrow morning. Again, since I checked my e-mail and have time, I was happy to do it. But still, the disorganization and throwing things together last minute.... may be the French style, but definitely not mine.

This afternoon was calmer. I went to Pizz'Burger to catch up on a few American shows as well as spend time with my favorite French woman. The woman who waits on me there is more than kind, and always ready to sit down and have a chat with me whenever I come in. Today's chat was about the weather today and the next few days: sunny and around 70 degrees Farenheit. November in Provence people... and I was wearing sandals. Pretty amazing. Really, I shouldn't complain, as I am living a life people only dream about. With the sunshine today and an amazing salmon dinner tonight, I think I will have enough strength to face my 6 hours of lessons tomorrow. Pending that I can find my ever-changing classrooms. On verra.....

*In general, I have been doing a lot better these past few days - probably because I have been keeping busy

No comments:

Post a Comment