Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Marvelous Mardi

As the first day back from a long vacation, I dreaded getting out of bed this morning. The one thing making me feel the slightest bit better was the beautiful sun rising into the cloudless blue sky.* After seeing all the statuses from back in Michigan talking about the white-out conditions and the gross snow-rain combination that the mitten is known for, I happily jumped out of bed and got ready to face the day of assisting.

My first class today was my best class I have had yet here in France. I took 12 students for an entire hour and they were attentive, curious and gushing to participate. It was so nice that my lesson, which involved describing people, kept their attention and evoked conversations of new vocabulary. I first had them describe various celebrities, like Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber, etc. They had to each say one sentence about the stars, and say something that hadn't been said before. That was not a problem though, as they had so many opinions of these people that they could've talked for hours! After, we played Who Am I, the game where you pick another person in the class and describe them as if you were them, while the whole class guesses who you are based on the description. This proved to be a good review of vocabulary and they had fun describing their friends.

After a successful lesson, I walked out into the crisp air to the loge, or the front gate, and found a package from my parents! Although life in France is amazing, care packages from home make this place even better, as they sent things that I can not find here, like my acne face wipes, Apple Cinnamon Cheerios (my favorite cereal), Buncha Crunch (my favorite candy), and Fantasy Bars made with love by my mother. AND, most importantly, they not only sent me pumpkin filling, but all the other necessary ingredients to make a pumpkin pie! Including pie pans and the recipe itself! As Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, and I have been a little blue that I will be missing it this year, I am so happy I can have a little piece of it here in France with me. However, we don't have an oven here at the apartment, so I am on the hunt for an oven to use and people to spend this Thanksgiving tradition with.**


EEK!

Even down to the spices pre-measured and mixed in a container, everything to make the delicious Thanksgiving dessert! I wonder where I get my organizational skills from...

Mom's famous Fantasy Bars (aka Seven Layer Bars, Crack Bars, etc)

Goodies! My parents are the best

Happy girl!


After lunch and basking in the sunshine a bit, I returned to class. Except, after waiting 5 minutes in front of my classroom, with neither the teacher or the class there, I was told by another English teacher I work with that they were at the cinema this hour. In Apt this week, there is a prestigious African film festival. As the school supports the town in its ventures, during this week, there are many classes going to see the films. I had already known one of my classes tomorrow was going to see one, but was unaware of this class. So I was free to go, but instead sat in on another class for the hour, where he worked me into the lesson talking about progress. Mostly, this just required me to answer questions about freedoms in America, and got into a heated debate about the right to bear arms. Never know quite what to expect during my days as an assistant, but today was definitely a good day, or as I am dubbing it, a marvelous mardi.

*I know I am constantly talking about the sunshine here, but I honestly don't think I will ever get sick of it! Or talking about it.
**FRENCH FRIENDS - Tradesies: I will give you an amazing, delicious, homemade pumpkin pie if you give me access to your oven and will put up with me as I exercise this Thanksgiving tradition. Deal?

No comments:

Post a Comment