Wednesday, November 27, 2013

On améliore... peu à peu

The past two days since my return from Spain, I have been quite busy. Not only that, but I feel as if I have made some great strides in making this little place more like home.

Immediately when I returned yesterday, I taught two afternoon classes. In fact, I was a little late to the first class, but it didnt matter: when I walked in the teacher looked surprised to see me. She totally forgot I was coming. Maybe it was going to be fine that I had missed a class that morning? I soon found out it wasn't: my next teacher told me that I have to go and fill out official paperwork regarding my absence. I must have made my customary "oh crap" face because he quickly said, "oh no, you're not in trouble - it is just all administrative and they need to have documentation. The most that will happen is that you will get docked pay." I'll believe it when I see it.*

After classes yesterday, I had a rendez-vous with man named Alain who wants someone to come in and give modern English lessons for him and his colleagues at his business. We had set a time for him to come pick me up, and I knew he drove a white car, but after searching for half an hour he finally pulls up. I got in and we began to introduce ourselves a bit in French. When I explained that I am American and am from Michigan, his response was "Tu es americaine?! Mais tu parles bien!"** This is about the third or fourth time I have gotten this back-handed compliment this week - happy that they think I speak well, sad for their expectations of Americans' knowledge and capability of speaking French.

He drove me to his business, which is located in Gargas, the nearest small village to Apt. He is a very nice man and spoke whatever English he could to describe to me his work, but really most of our conversations hinged on the French. He is actually not bad at speaking English, his accent can be a little confusing at times but he would really like to improve his capabilities with the language so he can communicate better with clients. The company is one in the medical field, making products for orthopedic doctors and chiropractors. I was shown the office and met my future students, two engineers and a receptionist, who happens to be the owner's wife. AND he has an adorable dog that will be at the office whenever I come! We discussed my terms and came to an agreement: I will work with 2 at a time for 2 hours a week, Monday afternoons from 3-5pm. I will take the bus there and walk to the business, but they offered to give me a ride back into Apt when I am done! The only part of the conversation where I did not know what to say was when we discussed my price, and that wasn't because I didn't know how to say it in French - it was because I didn't know what I should charge. They left it up to me to come up with my fee.*** The atmosphere of the business is small and family-like, I think I really am going to enjoy teaching these adults! Alain drove me back into Apt and we continued to talk about our lives, him in English and me in French. He did admit to me that he thought I had improved since the first time we talked on the phone, he had been worried that I didn't know much French after that rusty conversation. At least he was honest! After talking a bit in the parking lot, we thanked each other and said "a lundi!" I can't wait to get started with this experience.

Today, I awoke to big, chunky snowflakes falling outside my window. Although I still don't have a proper winter coat after this weekend, I welcomed this change of season for the first time.**** As I walked to my classes all bundled up , I couldn't help my little kid instinct to try and catch the falling flakes with my tongue. Then I heard a loud bout of laughter - there is a class that evidently occurs on the bottom floor of my apartment building. Good to know.

Teaching at the high school has been getting better lately. I think that it helps that the students are starting to get to know me, and therefore will listen and respect me. Also, they have been loving hearing about Thanksgiving, as it is such a different holiday than anything they have here. One of my students yesterday even stayed after class to tell me about this music festival that him and few of the other students are playing at in Rousillion (another nearby village). Although all the other students couldn't help but say "oooo il essaye de sortir avec l'assistante!"*****, I did appreciate this effort to try and let me know something that they are involved with, and to let me know what young people do around this small town!

This afternoon has been full of errands: editing and uploading pictures, grocery shopping, laundry, lesson planning, etc. But I decided to take a break and decided to cross something off my bucket list for this year: see a movie in French sans subtitles. It really wasn't that hard to do - Catching Fire (or in French L'embrasement) came out in France today and as I was sad I missed the U.S. premiere, I had to go see it on the day it came out in France. This also marked another important step in my life both in and outside France: I went and saw a movie by myself. For years, I have had a fear of going to movies by myself, but today I finally mustered up the courage to just do it. And I had a lot of fun too! It was a great movie, and although I didn't understand every word being said, I know the story so it was extremely easy to follow. It is good that I am getting to the point with my French that I feel like I don't have to try so hard to understand, on améliore... peu à peu..

These posters are EVERYWHERE here. Still quite popular over here!

After the movie, I came out in the dark to Apt. As Amy is gone in Germany for the weekend, this is the first time I had to walk back through town at night by myself. Although this made me slightly worried beforehand, walking out to see so many people walking around town, with the Christmas lights twinkling above head, I decided to take a leisurely walk back through town and enjoy a little bit of this Christmas spirit. It was the first time I have gotten a chance to walk through town in all its holiday glory, and I have to say that this quaint town sure has a flair for the lights. (though nothing can beat Dad's lights back home) With Thanksgiving tomorrow, I have been feeling extremely in the Christmas spirit lately, and although I have no feast planned for tomorrow night, this might be the little bit of holiday cheer to get me through being away from home on my favorite holiday.


Place de la Bouquerie





*I went to go and fill out this paperwork today but the secretary was not there - she doesn't work Wednesdays. Oh well!
**Translation: You are American?! But you speak so well!
***After discussing it with the other teachers here at the school about what I should do, I am pretty excited to have the opportunity to make some extra cash here!
****Plus, it might have helped that I checked my bank account and saw we got paid. New winter coat for me!
*****Translation: Ooooo he is trying to go out with the assistant!!

No comments:

Post a Comment