Sunday, November 3, 2013

Le mal du pays....

Tonight is the last official night of vacation, as our contract says we begin teaching again tomorrow. However, as I work every other Monday, I get one more day of relaxation and planning, which will probably be consumed running errands and cleaning. Maybe a stop by Pizz'burger to catch up on some American TV... who knows.

Thursday, my first full day back at home, I mostly took care of odds and ends - grocery shopping, laundry, blogging, etc. I was trying to ignore the fact that it was Halloween and I was in a country that does not seem to acknowledge it. However, when I was at the grocery store, I did see a small Halloween section, or what had been one. All of the costumes and holiday-related items had been bought out! Guess the French might celebrate it more than I thought. However, I still didn't see anyone roaming around in costumes and with no Hocus Pocus to watch, I was feeling a little deprived. Later that night, Amy decided to add a little Halloween flair to the apartment to celebrate. Have to admit it made me laugh, convincing me to eat a Reese's Pumpkin* and watch Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban and enjoy the best of my French Halloween.


Amy's Halloween ghosts. Aren't they scary?!


On Friday, we ventured to Avignon. Amy's boyfriend was in town this weekend, and they were planning on going to visit there anyway, but we are also looking into getting new phone coverage and the store we needed to go to happened to be there. One thing that I had thought about in advance but thought it would not be a problem: it was November 1st. As in, jour de la toussaint - the reason we had a two week vacation was for this holiday. So as you can imagine, we reached Avignon and the store was closed. After using free wifi and wandering in some shops for a few hours, I came back to Apt empty handed. Amy and I are already planning a trip for next Friday to get this sorted, and maybe a trip to Ikea is in store as well.

Saturday is always the same, spending hours meandering through the market. Not like I mind it - I find it to be comforting constant in my life here. I am starting to recognize the vendors, and some are starting to recognize me as well. It makes this place feel a little more like home. 

Had been dying to try the pizza from a specific vendor who is always packed and sells out by 10:30am (Note: there is a bite taken out already... I couldn't wait until after the picture.)

Macaroon type of day.

However, the rest of Saturday was not a good day. Ever since I have been back to Apt, I guess you can say that I have been extremely homesick.** This stemming from my wish to be back home for State Finals on Saturday to see my students perform as well as many of my travel plans seeming to fall apart beneath my eyes. And also, some unexpected news from home didn't help either. I couldn't help but feel how incredibly alone I feel here. At the beginning, I liked that feeling - it made me feel independent and strong. But now, I just feel a bit lost.

My parents are seriously the best in the world. Why, you may ask? They knew how sad I was and skyped me into all three performances for each of the groups that I instructed/choreographed for this year. Although I was up very late staring at a computer screen, I went to sleep with a smile, the first time that's happened in awhile.

NOTE: Not saying that I don't feel absolutely blessed to be here, because I do. I just feel like it is equally important to write about the harder times, as it makes the amazing times here that much more important.

*Thanks Mom!!!
**Again, probably a huge understatement.

No comments:

Post a Comment