Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Vale, España (aka: Spain, don’t kick me when I’m down!)

I am excited to be writing this post from the comfort of my own room in Apt. Although I love to travel and explore new places, there is something about home that is inherently relaxing and after the weekend I have had, I cannot express how grateful I am to have a steady place to come back to here in Europe.

My journey began early Friday morning, with catching the 6am bus to the Avignon TGV station. From there, I took a 3 hour TGV to Paris. Although it was cold in Provence, on the way to Paris, we passed through the northern departements of France which were covered in snow, with more big chunks being blown around as we passed. Seeing the Southerners on this train was funny, as they were so excited to see this change of season and were all continually taking pictures on their smartphones the entire ride. 

This TGV arrived 30 minutes late into Gare de Lyon, making my 1.5 hour connection to Gare Montparnasse even shorter. I hastily bought a ticket to the metro, and having already mapped out my plan to get there, arrived in the station with 30 minutes to spare. The next TGV was a 6 hour journey that was supposed to end in Irun, a small town just across the border into Spain. However, when we reached the stop before Irun, an announcement was made: we would be stopped there for an undeterminable amount of time due to a blockage on the line. In my train car, you heard just about every language represented in their disgust at this news: “Putain!” “Shiza!” “Joder!” “Shit!”

As I only had a 30 minute connection with the original time this train was getting in, I knew there was little hope for me to arrive in Irun, let alone Burgos, that night. I talked with some young German students who were next to me in the same predicament – we were all trying to find a way to make that train. After trying to find the conductor to ask about this several times, I ran into someone saying that they were setting up something special for the people who were on my train going to Portugal. Then, in an instant, the conductor appeared and said “Tu vas à Portugal?” As I was definitely not going there, I was confused but just showed him my ticket. He motioned me and a group of us to follow him. At this point, I had no idea what was going on or where I was going, but blindly following seemed better than staying on the train. 

As we were all standing there, conversing about our options in a mix of French, English and Spanish, I slowly realized that we all had some type of understanding between us. There is something to be said about the universal language of the panicked and stranded travelers. Soon after, a group of taxis pulled up – the train station had called taxis to take us across the border to Irun. Squished in a car with 3 other Portuguese men, hoping and praying that I would make this train, I watched as there was one minute until the train left and we weren’t even at the station yet. One of the men in the car asked why I was so worried, and when I explained to him that I don’t speak Spanish, he said “pourquoi tu es en Espagne?!”* After explaining a little bit about why I am in Europe and that I was visiting a friend studying in Spain, he told me not to worry, because they don’t even speak Spanish there, they speak Basque. It was interesting to hear about the different dialects that exist in Spain and the different opinions and controversy about their usage. 

When we arrived at the station at the minute the train was supposed to leave, I was grateful that the taxi driver just told us to run from the car – the taxi was on the train station. Good thing, because that was a 90 euro ride! We made it just in time… except the train waited on the platform for another half hour to ensure the passengers from the other taxis would arrive as well. As we all reunited on the train, we shared our relief with one another and wished each other continued safe travels with fewer complications. Again, the sense of camaraderie was quite comforting, as I was making this journey on my own. 

I finally arrived in Burgos at 10:15pm, only a few minutes after I was supposed to arrive originally. I was greeted by Katie and Andrea at the station and they brought me back into town to my hostel. The owner of the hostel had gratefully stayed an hour and a half past check out time for me, and since I was one of the only guests, I got a two bed room with a private bathroom instead of the single room I paid for. Score! Even after my long day of travel, I wanted to see a bit of the city and grab some food. So they showed me some of the city center that night: Burgos cathedral all lit up, the Arc Santa Maria, etc. And we went to Moritos, which became increasingly clear was the best restaurant in town. As we waited for a table, we enjoyed my first Spanish sangria, and I must say they are AMAZING!** Then we had huge chicken sandwiches, which might not sound very Spanish, but for someone that has not had a lot of meat since I have been to Europe, the sandwich was absolutely delicious and just what I needed. I slept very well on my double bed to myself and a stomach full of goodness. 

Besties with Sangria!

Saturday, we woke up and were determined to see the sights. The weather, although, didn’t agree with us. It was pretty cold and continued to spit rain at us so although I got to see the cathedral during the day, we did not get to walk to the university where Katie studies and decided to duck into stores and do some shopping. Soon after, we went for an early lunch of vino y tapas at Pecadito’s, another popular restaurant in town. This was a very traditional Spanish meal where I tried many different small plates of Spanish dishes, including tortilla, croquetas, and the Burgos specialty morcilla. And of course, had to wash it down with a glass of rosé wine. 


The second most beautiful cathedral I've ever seen. (if you're wondering, Notre Dame is always boss)

Tapas!

After lunch, we went for another glass of sangria at Morito’s. I don’t know what it is but that blend of red wine, apples, oranges and lemons was just too delicious to resist.

Seriously, SO GOOD!
After, it was still too cold and rainy to walk around very much, so we went back to Katie’s host family’s house and watched Pitch Perfect in her room. I know this sounds like an odd thing to do in Spain, but as I had been missing this movie, and spending time with a best friend, it was so nice to just relax in a warm place that afternoon while quoting and singing one of our favorite movies together. Plus, I got to meet her host mom and brother, both of whom are very nice and were very welcoming to me. 

Later on, we got ready for a night out on the town. As Katie had warned me the week before, I knew that it was going to be a long night out, as Spaniards stay out until 7am on a Saturday night/Sunday morning. And as I had one real night in Spain, I of course had to be prepared to live as the Spanish do! The night started with kebabs (which I had never had before and were tasty!), a sangria at Moritos and then calimuchos at Peregrino. Calimuchos is a drink that I have heard about from many of my friends that have studied in Spain: it is half red wine, half Coke. I thought this would be disgusting but surprisingly found it quite tasty! We spent the rest of the night meeting up with Katie’s other friends from the program and dancing the night away. Although the night ended on a sour note***, I was more than happy that Katie’s host brother said I could come back and stay at their house instead of going back to my hostel. I was thankful to be able to spend the night with my friend after such a weird end to my day, and I was happily asleep by 8am (like true Spaniards do).

Waking at noon, we set off in search of a store to buy me a new coat. We were sad to discover that Spain is like France: everything was closed. So instead, I borrowed one of Katie’s jackets and we set off to take pictures by the cathedral. After, we headed to Yaya’s house to bake a classic American apple crumble pie, as her host mom wanted to know how to make them. Though when we started making it, she said that she already knew how to make that kind of pie. Oh well, it was wonderful to meet another Spanish woman, and she spoke English very well! She said she felt so awful about my jacket that she would find me an old one that she wasn’t wearing anymore for me to have. I thought that this was just a nice sentiment but when she came through the door with a lined bomber jacket, I was nearly in tears. She mis-understood my reaction and said “Oh if you don’t like it, that is fine, you can buy another one when you get to France!” I of course thanked her profusely, for giving me something to wear in the cold winter conditions, and am still extremely grateful for this act of kindness. There are some great people in Spain!

Apple crumble deliciousness!

Some lovely ladies!

Then we went on a chilly evening walk and Katie, Andrea and Yaya showed me the university where they study at, Universidad de Burgos. After a bone chilling stroll, we ducked in to Morito’s one last time so I could try some patatas bravas, which were French fries with a type of red hot sauce and aioli topping. Yum! And finally, something every tourist must do in Burgos, we climbed to the top of the Castillo (which there is barely anything left of) and looked out over the city. It was a beautiful moment of tranquility after such a crazy weekend and we all sat there admiring the view.

Burgos at night

After, we said our goodbyes and Katie and I headed back to the hostel for quick nap. As all the 8am bus tickets to Madrid airport were sold out, it meant that I had to wake up at 3am to catch the 4am bus to the airport. After saying goodbye to Katie at the bus station, I settled in and slept until we reached the airport. I checked in and looked at the clock: it was 7am. My flight didn’t leave until 2:40pm. I spent the 7 hours of free time watching Project Free TV on my phone and reading. Finally, the plane boarded, took off and landed on time. I even slept on the plane!****

Once arriving in Marseille and transferring to the train station, I bought tickets to a train that said it was delayed 30 minutes. This was fine, as my bus back to Apt wouldn’t leave for another 1.5 hours after I arrived in Avignon. However, while sitting on the train, they came on the loud speaker and said that the train would be delayed an additional hour. Sure I was able to find a train that could get me there sooner, I waited another 30 minutes in line for them to tell me the next train was scheduled to get in later. As I walked back to my original train, they came over the loud speaker and said the train would now be delayed 3 hours. That wouldn’t do, so I went back to the line again to get the next available train. Which got into Avignon at 8:05. When did the last bus to Apt leave, you may ask? At 8:00pm.

So, as I was stuck in Avignon for the night, I texted my friend and fellow assistant Liz and she and her roommates Chase and Maria let me stay at their place. I cannot express how thankful I was that I had somewhere to stay for the night, and also got to catch up with some great people. I will be going back to their place this weekend to see a bit of Avignon, shop and make some pumpkin pie! But in any case, I checked the bus schedule when I was there and soon realized that there was no way I was going to be able to make my first class the next day. I emailed my teacher and coordinator and offered to do an extra hour at a different time, and as this situation has yet to be resolved, I still don’t know what is going to happen with it.

Tuesday morning, I took the bus back into Apt and walking back through town gave me this indescribably uplifting feeling. I never thought Apt would make me feel that way, as so many people call it a “dead city”. After such a long, eventful, complicated, and fun weekend, I could not be happier to be back in my French home, no matter how small and run-down it may be.

*Translation: Why are you in Spain?!
**So amazing that we returned two more times on Saturday for two more glasses. That’s right: 3 times within a 24 hour period. It’s just that good, guys!
***What is this sour note? WELL, my watch AND my winter jacket got stolen. To be fair, the watch might have just fallen off, but due to the below freezing temperatures outside, I was pretty upset about the jacket. And, oh yeah, a Spanish mob/mafia boss was trying to give me money for my coat. Only in Spain….
****For people who are aware of my flight anxiety, you know that this is a great triumph!

No comments:

Post a Comment